Tulsi or Holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) is a powerful herb that has been used in Ayurveda and other traditional medical treatments in India for thousands of years. It is considered a sacred plant in India and is often worshipped. Its leaves had potent powers to flush out toxins from the body. Now also some people have tulsi water (water which has tulsi leaves soaked overnight) or chew on a tulsi leaf to improve overall health. Tulsi extract helps to treat cold, cough, and the flu. It is highly nutritious and a good source of potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamin C. It also contains iron, sodium, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, and vitamin B6, A, and K.
- Helps reduce stress.
- Protects from heart disease.
- Beneficial in treating asthma.
- Helps to prevent premature aging.
- Excellent antibiotic and disinfectant agent.
- Reduces risk of cancer and heart ailments.
- Controls headaches, cough and cold.
1. Reduce stress and anxiety: All parts of the holy basil plant act as an adaptogen. An adaptogen is natural substance that helps your body adapt to stress and promotes mental balance. It has pharmacological properties to help your mind cope with many types of stress.
2. Stimulate and vitalize your body: Holy basil is also high in anti-oxidants and helps your body detox. It can protect your body against toxic chemicals. It may also prevent cancer by reducing the growth of cancerous cells.
3. Protect against infection and treat wounds: Extracts made from its leaves are thought to boost wound healing speed and strength. Holy basil is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic (a painkiller).
4. Lower your blood sugar: If you have prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, all parts of the holy basil plant can help reduce your blood sugar.
5. Lower your cholesterol: Holy basil targets metabolic stress, it can also help with weight loss and cholesterol levels.
- Ease inflammation and joint pain: As an adaptogen with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, it is able to tackle stress, anxiety, and inflammation. It can even help people with arthritisor fibromyalgia.
7. Protect your stomach: Holy basil can counteract the effects of stress-induced ulcers.